What should you do if you’re stuck between two passions you love equally? How to choose which one to pursue as a career? According to our colleague Frederik, you shouldn’t give up anything in life, but only find a position that will give you the opportunity to combine both passions.
Meet Frederik Schmøde, a Chief React Dev. Team Lead in the React Dev. Team at NaviPartner. We asked Frederik a few questions about his typical working day, the pros and cons of his position, the most challenging part of his role, as well as about the key values of his team, etc. Here’s what he had to say:
1. Can you tell us a little about your background and your journey at NaviPartner?
My educational background consists of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, and since my graduation I have been working in different IT consultant positions. My journey at NaviPartner started in the position of a Team Lead, where I have the great opportunity to combine my two passions: software development and working with people.
2. Can you walk us through your typical day?
A typical day starts with going through new and existing cases to see if any follow-up is required. That can be providing feedback to stakeholders, gathering more information needed by the team, or planning how new cases should fit into the schedule. Then come HR-related tasks and minor ad hoc tasks that might need my attention. In the remaining time I help the team with software development.
3. What’s the most challenging part of your role?
The most challenging part of being a Team Lead is to find a balance between micro-managing and the absence of management – either will result in demotivated team members. There are no clear boundaries between the two since people are different, thus it takes a bit of trial and error to find the golden middle way.
4. What’s the most rewarding part of your role?
The most rewarding part of being a Team Lead is when you can feel a team member’s motivation and when the team meets the deadlines.
5. Can you tell us the three core values of your team that you respect the most?
The three values that I appreciate and respect in the team are the following:
- Open communication.
- Team members being unafraid to provide suggestions and constructive criticism.
- A team with a positive mindset.
6. What advice would you give to a candidate who would like to join your team?
The most important for a candidate is to have a positive and curious mindset – if the candidate is curious to learn and not afraid to ask questions, then everything else will come in time.
7. In your opinion, what three characteristics best describe a good leader?
The three most important characteristics of a good leader in my opinion are these:
- The ability to listen.
- Knowing your strengths and limitations and being open about them.
- Being authentic: do what you say and say what you do.
8. Who is Frederik outside of work? Do you have any hobbies? How do you spend your spare time?
Outside work, I spend most of my time with family and friends. I have a 2 and a half-year-old son, and I love spending most of my time with him. I also enjoy running, and I run a couple of times a week, either alone or with a friend.